Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I'm the most successful poor person you know



Today I’m going to tell you a story.

A Writer,

Rave reviews,

50 emails per week

before everybody

had email addresses.

People

were hungry to do her play.

A play

from the mothers

to the people

asking them to

all rise for change.

PAY ATTENTION.

Mamas and Babies

need you.

Communities got BOLD,

changed laws,

said NO to consent

without their consent.

The Writer spent

hours and hours and hours

supporting the movement,

telling her kids “not now”

and her husband "later"

all for these people.

The Cause.

The Calling.

Her heart over-flowed with love

for the People.

Brown soiled love.

Muddy love.

I’m the most successful poor person

you know

she’d tell everyone.

She’d smile proudly.

They laughed.

Then one day the money was

truly gone.

I’m the most successful poor person

you know

The Writer would say

now followed by 

a nervous laugh.

I’m more about social change than money,

she told everyone.

I’m more about following my Calling

than money,

I’m more about

ANYTHING

than money.

I’m about

changing the culture of birth.

Soon after this

DECLARATION

as she repeated to a birth colleague

one day that

I’m the most successful poor person you know

three things happened:

she started to cry,

she had a major

PITY PARTY,

and then she looked in the help wanted ads.

Mission over.

Dream over.

Calling over.

And then what?

A mentor woke her

UP

while they ate an

omelet

on a sunny day.

The Writer left thinking,

I deserve money.

I CAN follow my Calling.

The mentor helped the Writer

Learn BUSINESS.

Think BUSINESS.

Be BUSINESS.

Hey - but isn’t BUSINESS soul-less?

the Writer asked

day after

freaking day.

The mentor showed her

business with heart.

LIGHT BULB.

The Writer

INVESTED

in a

BUSINESS course.

And survived.

She

begged and borrowed

To INVEST

in defining her core message

from an authentic place

with a woman

who understood

the Heroine’s Journey.

She

INVESTED

in working with a business coach

who happened to be

a super creative

Visionary

like herself.

She

INVESTED

more and more.

Time and money.

She applied what she learned.

Yes,

SHE WAS SCARED.

But pretty soon

she

changed her mantra.

I am a successful business woman

changing the world.

She began to follow her

CALLING

and make money.

Imagine that.

Harmony lit up her home,

her bounce returned,

and

one day

she realized

receiving business skills

STRENGTHENED

her mission.

Today she wants to

GIVE BACK.

Who is she?

She’s….

ME.

A Writer

A Teacher

A Visionary

Who wants to

GIVE BACK

the skills I learned

to pull me out of

‘poor birthworker

mode.’

I want

YOU

to get these skills

before

you sink into

deeper debt

over a Calling

you love like

Whipped Cream

on a sundae.

I want to help

YOU,

your Business,

watch you

make a plan

to live your Calling

and earn money

doing it.

I want you to join me in

in activating your

Full-Body-YUM

Mode

and lay the

poor birth worker

to rest.

Ready?

Next Wednesday September 19th

at 10am PST/1pm EST

Join me

and Stephanie Dawn

for a


to talk about this

taboo topic.

Let’s get naked together,

step into entrepreneurship

and birth work

without all the kicking

and screaming.

Let’s do this.

You can

for the call.

And tell others too.

Don't keep this a secret

anymore.

See you soon,

Right?

10 comments:

FB said...

Inspiring blog, Karen! Thanks. I look forward to the webinar.

Rebecca said...

Very moving. Power in simplicity. Thank you for trying to wake us up.

LoveURSelf said...

So VERY true. Guilty!
Now I know that I need to focus on my business even more.

Tara Brooke said...

Yes, Karen! Thank you for sharing this with us and inspiring others to think about this.

I too have always wanted to inspire birth workers to embrace the possibilities of an entrepreneurship spirit. I have always felt that the energy that we put into our work is of great value!And I love that you point out that this is a learned skill-seek out a training or workshop to start lighting the fire!

In a similar piece last year about Having a Calling and Making a Living I even dared to ask if we were being anti feminist(!) for feeling like we don't deserve to be compensated and valuing our oh so valuable work that we do: http://www.doulatrainingsinternational.com/having-a-calling-and-making-a-living

Keep up the great work and Thank you:)

Tara Brooke

Karen Brody said...

Yes Yes YES - Tara Brooke! I'm thrilled to see you've written about this. I figured if you're connected with Aimee Brill you are definitely on this page.

It's time for all birth workers to INVEST in themselves as entrepreneurs so we can keep going and change the culture of birth!

I really hope birthworkers will join Stephanie and me on our free call next Weds Sept 19: http://businessabundancebirthwork.eventbrite.com/

Eve Agee said...

Beautiful Karen! So many of us can relate to this and I'm so happy you are teaching this change. Beautiful!

Shirley said...

Oh, Karen, you're really amazing!! I'm so proud of you. I've never heard from your mouth this previous mantra "I'm the most successful poor person you know", but we had lots of conversation about this on our tea times (oh, I miss them so much!). It took some time to find the light bulb, but I'm glad you found it.
We need to talk some day, business woman! I hope you're not so busy in this your new mode! :-))
Lots of love!
Shirley

Teri said...

Great post!

Tara said...

I have an important appointment that day/time! Will you be doing this again?

Karen Brody said...

Hi Tara,

We might, depending on interest. Do sign up for the call. You'll get the recording via MP3.

Thanks for your interest in joining the conversation!

K